Thursday, April 30, 2009

Evil...I mean eccentric:)

My family is...ummm eccentric to say the least! I have often times found myself sitting amongst my family wondering how I am related to them...this afternoon my parents and I made an unexpected visit to my grandmother on my mom's side! I was once again reminded of how unique she is. First let me tell you that I love my grandmother...as different and challenging as she may be I wouldn't exchange her for anything in the world...

However today I realized that my grandmother is the old mean lady that neighborhood children fear and antagonize. I never knew anyone like that when I was growing up. Of course I have seen tons of movies that have that character in them...she always wore black, walked with a cane, screamed at children, had cats and silver gray hair. Well my grandmother doesn't wear black or walk with a cane but the other things are not so far from the truth.

About 2 years ago she moved out of the rambling old southern style house in the middle of nowhere she had lived in for 20 plus years and into a small middle income subdivision closer to town. Since then she has entered a war with the neighborhood children. And I do mean war...She has gone so far as to put up a huge fence around her yard and wrap barbed wire around it in order to prevent the kids next door from invading her space! Yes I said barbed wire fence! If you climb over you are in for some serious pain. The house next door seems to be the hang out spot for the 20-30 kids in the neighborhood. They seem to have an accessible basketball goal ( I personally think it is the daring of being close to the 'mean old lady' i only know as mema!) Her list of complaints in a mile long of the evil deeds they have all committed against her! Well my grandmother has drawn the line in the sand...all basketballs that fly over the fence become hers! She refuses to return them...EVER! Does that sound like a disney movie to anyone else but me!?

She cultivates the image by having 2 cats and 2 loud dogs:) of course the police department on speed dial is another tool she has....Yes this is the same grandmother who when I was nine decided she didn't want to celebrate Christmas anymore because she didn't like buying us presents:) seriously how am I normal?! Okay normal may be a stretch but I have never needed counseling! oh how I love my family...

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

Love love love this!

 
At 1:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna, this would explain your constant urge to punch me in the face. LOL, No seriously, you should be proud of yourself, rising above what you very easily could have become. That stubborn streak has paid off in this area.

Nathan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home