Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Birthday Weekend Part 1

You guys all know that my birthday has been a day that I have been dreading...well for months now! 3-0...how did it get here so fast? I am still young. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I am living in a place I never I thought I would live long term AND I have been here for almost 3 years. My luggage is bitter that it is been in the closet for so long but I digress.


To me 30 has always seemed old and well adult-like. You can no long pretend to be a miss guided 20 year old not that I ever really was but I wanted it to be an option. At 30 though you can no long hide from the truth...I even got a new driver license picture. No more 21 year old Deanna. She and I have parted ways...okay I realize the melodrama in that statement. However I need you feel the pain I have been feeling of the last few months as my birthday approached.... My friends were handling me with kid gloves and pandering to me ego. Well those under 30 were anyway...'you don't look 30.' '30 isn't old!' 'you are still so young.' My over 30 friends just rolled their eyes and said 'suck it up. you will be fine' 'it is just another birthday.' 'now you know how i felt' (Kelly I apologized for my lack of sympathy!)

Well it finally arrived and it will be one I will be unable to forget as the short term memory starts to fade:) It started with a calm dinner on Thursday night with BFF Kelly. I had plans for the rest of the weekend...She took me to a grown up dinner. We sat and talked about everything some grown up and some not so grown issues...3 hours later I headed home thinking it was a great way to start my 4 day birthday celebration process! (does that make me sound like a diva...who celebrates their bday for 4 days:)

Friday morning, work folks sang the birthday song, gave me a Starbucks card and helped me eat cake...all day. (the boys seriously ate most of it!)

Friday night the partying began...I was meeting Ruth, Amber and Jennifer. Us bank gals were going to eat out and have a little fun...We all get in the car. I ask questions and get ignored. Amber hands me the scarf and reminds me that I know the drill. They always blind fold me when they are surprising me...We spend the next five minutes driving around in circles! Car sickness begins to set in...We park and they walk me across the parking lot...I would love the see the faces of people when they see me looking like this


After they take more embarrassing pictures that I am sure could rival the photo scavenger hunts of old! They then tell me that they chose this place because they know I love it. Even though they don't like this type of food they wanted to take me somewhere that I would like. They pulled off the blind fold and showed me (drum roll please!) the sketchy looking hole in the wall Chinese restaurant!! okay I love Chinese food and am not too scared of hole in the wall places...but seriously, this is my congrats you are 30 birthday dinner! I am feeling gypped...I try to convince them I would never ask them to eat a food they didn't like...after a few minutes of being shocked and trying to play it off, they confess they are just kidding! cruelty at its finest...
So on we continue...Get back in the car, drive towards downtown Nashville, blindfold me AGAIN (not as eager this time around!), park and walk and pull off the blindfold and see (key romantic music please) the Cheesecake Factory or more well known as a slice of heaven on earth...I had good food, AWESOME cheesecake, fabulous coffee, presents (pretty scarf, Starbucks card - do my friends now me or what- and gift cert for a massage) Friday night was pure decadence...and I am grateful.

Saturday will be the beginning for family celebration but all has been great so far...

5 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww!!! so glad to be a part of your bithday weekend- and glad we are friends. just be nice to me when i'm 30 : )
Ruth

 
At 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember, when 30 was old.

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger deanna said...

30 is old!

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger lish said...

Happy Birthday!!

(I remember going to Starbucks at Opéra in Paris with you :o)

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

I SO wish that I could have been there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home