Wednesday, March 18, 2009

God uses the strangest things...

Lately I feel that I have been digging deeper in God's word than I have in quite sometime. However most of my digging has been for the purpose of teaching. I am spending all my time in Nehemiah (Sunday school) and 1 Peter (weekly bible study). Teaching both of these classes are a blessing in my life, and I enjoy every minute even when Go is using it to stomp on my toes (which he really seems to thrive upon lately). However last night as I was working on my 1 Peter study and realized that I don't really remember the last time I just read God's word. I tend to let my time with God rotate around what I am gonna be teaching during the week. Which may not be the best method....

I have a few struggles that I deal with daily...as we all do. One in particular makes me just have long and annoying days. I have tried several things to make it all better- prayed about it, for that person, for God to point out my sin in the situation, asked for what He is teaching, etc. So last night I decided that maybe if I started my day just reading a few verses of scripture and praying before I start to get ready for work it may help.

First know that I hate getting up before I have to start getting ready! I have never enjoyed doing a quiet time in the morning. You people who get up at 5 are either amazing or just plain crazy! I want those extra 5 or 10 minutes everyday. I hit snooze at least 4 times in the morning...more if I decide to wear curly hair and glasses:) yes I really do have these conversations in my head at 6:30 in the morning! So last night I made a decision I would try to get up around 6 or 6:15 and just read some scripture and pray. Here is the kicker...I wasn't going to change my alarm. It doesn't go off until 6:30 the first time (remember the snooze button:). If God wants me to have those few extra minutes He will just have to wake me up! He is the Almighty God so I figure He can do that!

So this morning at about 5:15 I heard noises from downstairs (my mom getting ready). I looked at the clock and went awww heck no! Then at around 6ish my phone beeped telling me I had an email. Of course I ignored it. Then at about 6:10 I had to get up and go to the restroom (I hate that!!!! getting older is holding little promise!) I look at the clock and go O Lord not today maybe tomorrow morning...I have been sick I need the extra sleep time! A few minutes later I hear the dreaded drip...our house is old and sometimes the toilet will run. After about 2 minutes of praying that God would make it stop...I finally said "Lord you are so mean!" got up, turned on the light, fixed the toilet, got back under the covers and opened my bible! I kind of went 'okay I am up You pick'.... and He did!

I am not saying it was the most amazing quiet time ever or that it has revolutionized my day yet. But those 20-25 minutes this morning reading the word, praying and listening to the outside noise gave me a lovely start to my day. I love that God can use a dripping toilet to remind me to get up and talk to him BEFORE I start my day. We will see if I am that stubborn tomorrow morning:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home