Wednesday, May 23, 2007

accountability...yuck or not

I used to hate the idea of accountablitity. When i was in college the idea was tossed around as often as pizza at a youth rally (sorry horrible analogy). It had become the "in" term. Everyone was discussing the idea of telling someone all their horrible and not so horrible sins in hopes of being a better Christian and healed of all sins. It seemed everyone had 8 different accountability partners for different aspects of their lives (Jesus time, personal time, health, school, relationships, shopping, bathing...you know everything!!) I tend to rebel whenever everyone else jumps on a band wagon. I prefer to stick my feet in the mud and stay there til the popularity wave passes. Hence the reason I will probably never read the 5 love languages book.

However over the last few years I have been forced to reevalute my perception of accountability. A certain group of ladies have helped me to see what it is and why it really does matter. Over the last 6 weeks it has come to mean more to me then ever. There is a problem with accountability. You have to actually take it seriously. I am telling them the truth and I hope they are doing the same for me. But I also have to ask them and point out those things that I see them do that breaks my heart. It isn't fun. But now that I know what true accountability is I want it to work. It is hard but worth it. It is building a level of trust that I can't explain and I would not give it up for anything. But it can also make it even harder to build trust...especially when you don't want to actually be honest and share it all...it can't be forced...either it is there or it isn't.

3 Comments:

At 2:07 PM , Blogger Mentanna said...

i am honored to be a part of it with you my friend. it sorta hurts so good, don't it?

 
At 8:03 AM , Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

You know you are loved, right!?

 
At 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm posting as anonymous to save the time of signing up. I'm a 40-year-old girl, married 19 years, mom of 4 kids and today I was looking for some meaning to the term "accountability."

After reading your blog I put an equals sign next to the word accountablity and then wrote "truth". I enjoyed your blog and don't have any criticisms, but something I want to add.

God sometimes winks at our failings. He's not that over-bearing critical parent some of us grew up with. He gives us space.

When people trust us, to tell them the truth, we sometimes have to wink at the things they'll grow out of. So in a sense we need to judge what kind of response to give, so people aren't overwhelmed.

My two cents.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home