Friday, November 24, 2006

thankful or not...

Thanksgiving has come and gone again. Yesterday as we fulfilled family tradition and listed what we were thankful I struggled. For some reason I had a hard time thinking of what to be thankful for. I went with the old standby of family. Not to lessen how grateful I am for that but it was a short list especially compared to my mom's dissertation. I hate that I couldn't seem to find much to praise the Lord about. My job situation or lack thereof makes it hard for me to focus on all the great things that have happened to me this year.

Lets be honest we're often think like that. When things are going well we complain at God for not doing what we believe is right and then when all seems to be golden we forget to say anything to Him at all. I have been reading through the Psalms and that is often the path. The "please kill all my enemies" psalms are often times longer than the "i praise you Lord" psalms. I hate that yesterday I had one of those moments. On closer inspection of the last year I discovered I had a few more things to be thankful for. It just took me a little while to remember. Maybe if I took more than one day a year to think of all I am thankful for it wouldn't be so challenging to remember.

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM , Blogger Mentanna said...

let's hear a list. what are you thankful for? you can start with me if you want.

 
At 6:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

or you could start w/ me...

 
At 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said deanna. it is so easy to forget when things are going well. we did they corn thing at thanksgiving...we each got four kernels of corn and put them in a little bowl as we said one thing we were thankful for with each kernel. then, we saw the "many blessings God's given us all added together and how many we had". this is all well and good, but it's only four things. this i was easily able to list, short and sweet. but as i thought about it again- just like you- i thought of a lot more. and as i made my list (see my blog) i just kept thinking of more, but had to stop somewhere. i agree with mentanna, make a list. and thank God for each and everyone of the things you put on it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home