Saturday, March 08, 2014

Life Aspiration…True Foodie

I am a bonafide dyed in the wool big hip wearing foodie.  I enjoy food…the process, the preparation, the consuming, and the congratulatory accolade associated with food.  Cooking for others has always been the favorite part of my day.  Even now with a not quite 6 week old, I think of what to prepare for dinner most of the day.  (Hey I have plenty of thinking time while serving as a milk cow to my little man!)

I seek new recipes on a weekly/daily basis often to the dismay of my meat and potato eating husband.  I look forward to going to the grocery store to buy the right foods for my planned menu.  I also thoroughly enjoy eating good food regardless of who fixed it.  And I also secretly bask in the congratulatory words after others enjoy my food.  (Don't worry I suffer through the complaints also….did I mention my husband is a picky eater??)  It is a process I truly delight in from start to finish.  Well I hate the cleaning up part.  That part I will gladly leave to others!

Food and all things related I enjoy from start to finish and all the tiny details in between.  Most others things in my day I just want to finish and move on to the next task.  I am not very good at stopping and just enjoying the moment.  My mind tends to race to the next task or process.

For the last several months that is most obvious in my relationship with God.  When I do take the time (rarely) to spend anytime in scripture I go at it with my standard 'break it down and study it'/'what is God teaching me' mode and then cross it off my list.

I don't remember the last time I just enjoyed the Bible…slowly reading it for no other reason than enjoying the process, the preparation, and the consuming.  I want to settle into congratulatory accolade for having 'completed' the task for the day.  Enjoying the Bible to know and to understand who God is is all part of what it looks like to be a child of God.  If I put so much joy and effort into food than the joy and effort I put into God should be ten fold.

For Jesus said 'I am the bread of life' and 'I am the living water'.  That is the best type of food and as a foodie those are the foods I really need to learn to enjoy and revel in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home