Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Look, Delete, and Retake

I don't really remember the first time I enjoyed taking pictures. I just know that over the years I have grown to love it! I love the way the world looks through a camera lens...it gives the world a whole new perspective. I don't care if it is trees, hills, people or buildings because I want a picture of it! I used to be that person who takes pictures of everything even when I know it will not turn out. My talent is tiny however ever once in a while I will get the perfect picture...it makes all the effort that goes into picture taking worth it.

I think I actually received my first camera in college...right before my first mission trip. I took about 10 rolls of film in about 6 weeks...first time to Europe, 14 rolls in 4 weeks....yes I said ROLLS OF FILM. I am aware that those are becoming obsolete along with mail and rabbit ears for your TV:) I took all those pictures and less half of them were worth showing around (not that it stopped me). While in France I finally bought a digital camera. When I developed my first roll of film and it cost almost $20, I knew I couldn't afford to take pictures with my 'real' camera...My love of digital photography began. I took even more pictures and more pictures and more pictures. I believed the number was around 3000 in 2 years. My problem is that I don't delete the bad ones. I know the perk of using a digital is because you get to look at it immediately and if you don't like it, delete it and retake the picture. In fact the minute you take a picture of someone their immediate response is "let me see it." "oh delete it I look fat, or my face looks weird, what is wrong with my hair, etc". "take it again!" Maybe that one will be perfect....

We are a little spoiled. Since our digital camera lets us delete and retake in about 2 seconds flat why can't we do that with our words. I cannot even begin to list the times I wish I could delete and redo something I said...I tend to let things slip, sometimes it is funny, other times embarrassing and other times painful or hateful. Unfortunately once they are out there I can't delete them...

Photography with an old fashioned camera takes time...you have to take a few minutes and look through the view finder to see if it looks like you want it too. You have to pause and wait for everyone to get in place and be ready. Because once you take it, you can't delete it and redo. Maybe I need to apply the same principal to what I say...think about it, then decide if I should say it...Retakes aren't an option.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home