Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Paradise City (not a spiritual post at all:)

I remember most of my high school dances. What I wore, who i danced with, the fun and the exhaustion the next day all stick out in my mind... Saturday night I had a flashback to the very first dance I went to. I was in seventh grade and had finally reached the high school side of things. We moved to the high school end of my K-12 school in seventh grade. We got to hang with the big kids...it was the homecoming dance in the fall of 1991. The theme was Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse. That song still makes my smile. Hair bands were still popular. They hadn't fully been replaced by Nirvana or the Red Hot Chili Peppers or booty rap music. I loved to jam to Poison, Aerosmith and Guns N Roses. And by jam, I mean head bang. I am now ashamed to admit that I spent many hours head banging to that type of music. What I remember the most about that post football game dance was standing directly in front of the huge loud speakers slinging my long blonde hair in total abandon to some of the best songs of the late eighties and early nineties. In fact the whiplash I suffered that weekend as a result of that slinging also still sticks. For some reason I remember the song Paradise City by Guns N Roses...which is what caused my flasback.

Saturday while driving to pick up my niece I was listening to the Classic Rock station and that song came on. I turned it up as loud as my mother's minivan will allow. Then reality struck...I was driving to pick my niece up from her first high school dance (she is a freshman this year!). The reality of my adulthood hits me at the oddest times...Saturday I couldn't help but laugh at the change in where I am. 15 years ago I was the one being picked up early and no I was the driver. But I was able to take comfort in the fact that I can still appreciate my music loud even if some of it now plays on the classic rock station:)

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM , Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

Wow! I can see that blonde hair flying!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home