Friday, July 04, 2008

gets me ever year...

if you are lucky enough to talk to me or be around me during the month of June chances are you are going to hear me complain about the 4th of July musical my church does. I could give you my list of complaints but i won't. it would defeat the purpose of the blog...ask me though and i will tell you:)

this year was one of the better musical we have done. however the straw hats almost made me boycott completely. yes ladies and gents (i don't think i have guys who read this) i wore a straw hat and sang a song called pick a bale of cotton. but i digress...

every year we sing a salute to the patriots. we sing each song from each branch of the military. those who are currently serving or have served are asked to stand when we sing their song. it doesn't matter how many times we sing that song every year i tear up a little bit. my sarcasm is forgotten and i am proud to be american. (i hate that lee greenwood has forever ruined that phrase for me!!!)

this year i had seemed to escape the knot in my throat and then it happened. we started to sing the air force song...there was a couple the front row. the husband and wife were each in their own seperate wheel chairs. the minute the opening notes of the song began the man threw his arms up in the air and waved them like an eager 5 year old at a baseball game. his son came up behind him and helped him out of his chair. the old veteran stood proudier than any man i had ever seen. he could see the joy on his face that he was able to stand while his song played. he stood straight and tall with more proud then you could ever imagine. i had to stop singing...tears all but rolled down my face.

i am so grateful that i live in a country where those who served in the military are still proud to have served. without the hard work and dedication of those men and women who knows were we would be. i am grateful to live in America and have the freedoms i have. cheesey but true... just something to think about on the 4th of july.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM , Blogger Mentanna said...

i can just picture you in your 4th of july production. makes me smile and you know all the reasons why. happy 4th friend!

 
At 2:44 AM , Blogger The Kilcoynes said...

Straw Hat? Bale of Cotton? Wow, Deanna Bob! BUt, I have to admit that I got a little teary-eyed reading this post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home