Thursday, April 28, 2011

jumping off a ledge

I am a pushover. Not sure if that is the correct term but it is all that pops into my head. I would like to argue that I am extremely solid in my faith. I know what I believe and am solid in why I believe it. However over the last couple of months I have come to realize that I can't always back up what I believe in unless I have heard someone else tell me why they believe it...confused yet??

I am currently walking my way through Philippians using a Precept Upon Precept Bible study series. It is unlike any bible study series I have ever done. This is my second Precept study. The first wasn't as much of a challenge, but this one is making me nervous. I have always thrived in those studies where the author tells me where to go to find the answer to their questions. They know the answer and will spend 3 or 4 pages telling me why I should agree with them. I am not saying they are theologically unsound, but they do a great job of spoon feeding me. However over the past week I have been forced to read 3 verses and then find the answer to the tough theological question by myself using scripture, commentaries and a concordance. Yikes!!! just me, the big thick books and the Holy spirit...I already had my opinion of why I believed but to have to support it was a little intimidating.

Then it hit me...there are to many parts of my faith that I 'believe' to be true but I can't necessarily tell you why I firmly believe it to be true. I am a pushover...I let what other people believe be my guiding post. Which brings me to point number 2 this realization also makes me a little bit of a hypocrite. I can't tell you how many times i have told people in any bible study I was teaching to study scripture for themselves. I have always wanted them to read the Bible. I have always warned them to not just take my word for it or even the preacher's word for what they are to believe. Here find that I have been doing the same thing...

So now it is time for me to start finding out why I believe what I believe...and doing it myself. Not that I won't be reading others books and listening to other opinions but maybe I should spend more time studying the actual Word of God instead of letting others spoon feed me the answers to my faith questions...Ergo I will be jumping off a faith ledge and let the Holy Spirit spend more time guiding me. I guess it is a good time for me to start seminary after all...isn't it suppose to better equip me to study:)

2 Comments:

At 7:04 PM , Blogger Erica said...

I think you need to blog more often.... just sayin'

 
At 1:38 PM , Blogger RampantCrumpet said...

tennessee girl , may I humbly suggest that you fast and pray before you invite the Holy Spirit to guide you. Fasting drives the ego out of your house and praying invites the Holy Spirit in. It's like body building. In order to build up muscles we need to first break them down. Fasting and self denial breaks us down so that we are more receptive the the truth and our ego and desires for self don't get in the way so easily. God Bless

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home