Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Focused on What?

Focused on Christ...Christ Alone...Christ Centered...Desires of my heart to be God desires...Does that describe my life? Do I truly live a life that is focused on getting to know God and trying to live everyday according to what He desires for my life? Honestly, i don't think so....

I love being a believer in Christ. I can't even begin to imagine what my life would look like without God in it. People who don't know who God is baffle me. It is not all roses and chocolate, but I wouldn't chose a different life. But what does my relationship with Christ really look like? I talk to God all the time. I am not a structured prayer person. My day consist of talking to God all day like He is sitting beside me listening. But what do I talk to him about?

Do I spend time talking about his love, his blessing, asking for his guidance, asking him to show me what to do every second of every day? Or is it more of a list of my complaints in the form of a prayer? Or telling Him my desires and then giving Him an idea of how to make those things happen? If I am being honest it is the later...

"Lord I firmly believe that you want me to be overseas again. So if You could hurry up and make that happen than I could be living a Christ-Centered life..."

"Lord I am tired of being single. So if You could hurry up and make the man of my dreams sweep me off my feet..."

"Lord I really want to be a teacher. Since You aren't letting me go overseas now why can't I at least teach? You have sent me on plenty of interviews...."

"Lord I am almost 30 and living at home WITH MY PARENTS. Seriously what are you doing to me...."

All of these are legitimate thoughts I have had. I am not asking for awful things at least i don't think they are:) Yet how often do I sit down with God just to spend time with him? How often do I just ask Him to show me more of Himself? I don't want all my conversations with God to be a list of complaints. I don't want to only tell people what God is doing in my life when I am frustrated and confused or when it works the way I wanted it to.

Romans 15:17 'Therefore in Christ-Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God.' How can I live that verse in my life... I want all things to pertain to God and not just my own selfish needs...

"Lord I want to love where I am. Show me how to live my ministry right here and right now without waiting on what I think is the perfect situation."

"Lord I am so glad that I have gotten to spend time growing with you and not someone else. I don't want anything to interrupt our relationship."

"Lord thank you for introducing me to a different professional world. Show me how to find joy in my job so people recognize You in what I am doing."

"Lord Thank you for letting me love my parents and getting to know them as an adult."

Maybe if I make sure that I place God in the middle of all my situations, instead of hovering over them with a magic wand, I will be Christ focused daily not just when the mood hits...

1 Comments:

At 6:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may not provide you with any comfort whatsoever, but you're not the only one out there that prays selfishly. God understands and wants us to come to him with everything.

I do want to tell you that I think you are an awesome person, and I have truly enjoyed getting to know you better the past few months. I'm very glad to call you my friend. Seeing the fire inside of you for everything you are so passionate about makes me strive to do better. God has you in an amazing ministry in lil' ole Shelbyville whether you realize it or not. I see so many amazing blessings in your future. I don't know how long you'll have to wait, but I know that they will be more than you ever expected.

This quote was in my daily devotional for today and it goes along with Psalm 32:8. The words really touched me.

"God has a course mapped out for your life, and all the inadequacies in the world will not change His mind. He will be with you every step of the way. And though it may take time, He has a celebration planned for you when you cross over the "Red Seas" of your life. --Charles Swindoll

Love,
Ashley A.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home