Thursday, November 20, 2008

Characteristics VS Personality Part one

Every single person in the world is completely different. We have different hair, skin, eyes, laughs, walks, etc. No two people are exactly alike. We all think different, care about different things, or get annoyed at different things. Our personalities and characteristics define who we are. However what are those two things, and how do they affect us on a daily basis. Can we change our personalities or characteristics? Are we truly just born that way? What if I don't like what I have been dealt? How do I fix it?

According to dictionary.com a characteristic is a feature that helps distinguish a person or thing; distinctive; a feature that helps to identify, tell apart or describe;recognizable or distinguishing mark or trait. Synonyms for characteristic - emblematic, peculiar, individualistic, typical, distinguishing. Antonyms- abnormal, uncharacteristic...

For some reason I always think of a characteristic as a physical description of someone. For me, blonde hair (all my natural color), blue/green eyes (they really do change based on what color I am wearing), 5'7" (haven't started to shrink yet), hour-glass figure (am I being honest:)...I'll stop there. You get the picture. However it seems characteristics are more than physical elements. They are things that set me apart or make me peculiar...

I have a hard time putting together a list of non-physical characteristics. Talker (yeah you should all know that already:), optimistic (is that code for annoyingly chipper:), listener (like hearing what is going on with people), teacher (i just plain love it!), singer (it may not always sound great but i am not the worst one out there), sarcastic (that is what makes me funny)...

That is the best I can do. Yet for some reason I don't know if those are emblematic of who I am. Are those the characteristics that set me apart and make me an individual? I can think of tons of people who have the same characteristics. Is that when personality comes into play?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home